The Nantucket Biodiversity Initiative supports biodiversity related research on Nantucket, Tuckernuck, and Muskeget Islands through and annual Small Grants program. Funding is available for the purchase of research equipment, travel to the Islands for research, field supplies, sample processing, etc necessary to complete a specific research project. Additional information can be found in the grant guidelines and application.
Grant requests of up to $1,500 will be considered for funding. Additional financial and in-kind support such as housing, vehicles, lab space, equipment, etc. may also be provided by participating NBI organizations. The NBI does not fund institutional overhead or researcher salaries. Proposals that include one or more of the following will be given the highest priority for funding:
- Projects that include Nantucket as a study site for regional biodiversity-related research;
- Research on non-native, invasive species and their impacts on the biodiversity of Nantucket;
- Research on understudied taxonomic groups on Nantucket;
- Research on more than one species of interest;
- Study sites located within the NBI’s established biodiversity plots;
- Species inventory work focused solely on under surveyed taxonomic groups.