African Bird Club Conservation Programme
Please note that some of the details on this page and in particular the deadlines for the receipt of applications for awards have changed as of February 2010.
The ABC's Conservation Programme supports small to medium sized conservation projects in Africa. Since 1996, it has supported a wide variety of projects including training courses, research into threatened species and promotion and awareness of conservation issues in Africa. The full list of past projects and some of the final reports can be seen here.
We currently raise money from sales, donations and corporate sponsorship. Our current budget stands at over £10,000 per annum and the Club welcomes applications for Conservation Awards from individuals or institutions and for the annual Expedition Award. However because demands on the fund are great we do have to turn some proposals down so it is important that applications follow the guidelines below.
ABC Conservation Awards - Maximum Grant £1,500
The Club aims to encourage as wide a range of ideas as possible, and funds approximately ten Conservation Awards each year. Many different types of project can be considered so long as there is a clear conservation objective. These could include:
- survey and research into African birds;
- educational projects or training courses;
- production of guides to the common birds of a country in local languages;
- interpretation material for nature reserves;
- other ideas will be considered.
As the fund is small, several restrictions will apply:
- applicants must be normally resident in Africa;
- ideally, the requested grant from ABC should be a major part of the project budget;
- requests for contributions towards academic fees will not normally be considered;
- however funding for field projects that are being carried out as part of an academic study may be considered if funding from the academic institution is not available;
We will also ask for interim and final project reports which we may choose to publish on our website or in our bulletin.
Applications for Conservation Awards must be received by the cut off dates shown below. Please download the full guidelines by clicking 'How to apply'.