2 replies to this topic

#1 Wayne Thogmartin

Wayne Thogmartin
  • Society Members
  • 3 posts
  • La Crosse, WI,
  • United States

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:14 PM

It came back: No results found for 'society for ornithology'. This can't be correct, because there are at least two threads on this topic; I posted on one. The reason I did the search is because after posting my note, I can't seem to find my way to what I posted. There is no record of this post.

#2 Wayne Thogmartin

Wayne Thogmartin
  • Society Members
  • 3 posts
  • La Crosse, WI,
  • United States

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:19 PM

http://ornithologyex...ornithology-r46
You'd think the search engine would return this url.

#3 Chris Merkord

Chris Merkord

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts
  • Vermillion, South Dakota,
  • United States

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

after posting my note, I can't seem to find my way to what I posted. There is no record of this post.

To find your own posts and other content, click your username in the upper right corner of the window (next to the words Sign Out), then on the dropdown menu click My Content. See the next screenshot for an example:

Posted Image

You can actually do the same for any member. Just go to their profile and click "Find Content" to see articles, comments, topics, and more by that person.

It came back: No results found for 'society for ornithology'. This can't be correct, because there are at least two threads on this topic; I posted on one.

http://ornithologyex...ornithology-r46
You'd think the search engine would return this url.

That's probably because you weren't searching the right section of the site. Read on...

The search engine is a little finicky because it actually shows search results for each section of the site differently. I wish this weren't the case, but it is a limitation of the software we use. To find something you're looking for, click the word in gray next to the search box and select the area of the site you want to search, e.g.:

Posted Image

That word in gray defaults to whatever part of the site you are currently viewing.

The search options generally correspond to the tabs on the primary navigation menu (e.g. Forums, Downloads). The exception is that Articles (including their comments) and anything under the Resources tab are all included in the Search option "Content".

A member searching for "Society for Ornithology" you probably want to do it for both Forums and then for Articles, since we have some of each on the subject. On the search results, you can easily switch between the different sections by clicking the pink headings on the left (see the example below). Thus if I click on Content and then Article Comments I find your comments below.

Posted Image

Unfortunately there still seems to be the problem that, while your Article Comment is shown, it lists the name of the Article's author (Sue) rather than the name of the Comment author (you). I suspect it may be a bug introduced by a recent software update. I'll look into it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SFO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members(s), 0 guests(s) and 0 anonymous member(s)