Photo

Exporting data to Excel

Best Answer ebridge , 26 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

First you get the data into a text file. You can set up Termite to log to a text file or you can just download all the data, select it all (cntl - A), copy it (cntl - c), and paste it into a text doc or word doc (cntl - v). Edit the file if you wish (delete the non-data stuff), and save the data as a text doc. Open a blank excel document (or if you are appending data, open an existing file). Select the cell where you want the data to go. From the top menu, select through Data - Get External Data - Import Text File. Then select the txt file and tell excel that you have a space delineated file.

That's one way to do it.

Thanks for using the forum. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pqueller

pqueller
  • General Members
  • 7 posts
  • Trinity University, San Antonio, TX,
  • United States

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

I'm a new RFID user and am having trouble figuring out how to export my RFID data from termite to Excel after I've downloaded it. Any suggestions?

#2 pqueller

pqueller
  • General Members
  • 7 posts
  • United States

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

I forgot to add that I am using the Generation 1 readers.

#3 ebridge

ebridge
  • Society Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:55 PM   Best Answer

First you get the data into a text file. You can set up Termite to log to a text file or you can just download all the data, select it all (cntl - A), copy it (cntl - c), and paste it into a text doc or word doc (cntl - v). Edit the file if you wish (delete the non-data stuff), and save the data as a text doc. Open a blank excel document (or if you are appending data, open an existing file). Select the cell where you want the data to go. From the top menu, select through Data - Get External Data - Import Text File. Then select the txt file and tell excel that you have a space delineated file.

That's one way to do it.

Thanks for using the forum.

#4 pqueller

pqueller
  • General Members
  • 7 posts
  • United States

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Thanks a lot!

#5 danifreund

danifreund
  • General Members
  • 3 posts
  • Trinity University TX,
  • United States

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:40 PM

I'm also new to RFID's and I was wondering if there are any other methods to manage and store all of the incoming data from Termite besides exporting it to excel? 

#6 ebridge

ebridge
  • Society Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:47 AM

Hi Danifreund. Thanks for using the forum. 

I Don't use excel much anymore unless I really need to pour through the data line by line. My typical routine now is to decompress data using a loop in R, visualize the data for a sanity check, and then proceed with whatever analysis. The result of decompression is a simple text file that's pretty easy to store. I used to use Excel to do the decompression but the spreadsheets would get unwieldy. 

#7 danifreund

danifreund
  • General Members
  • 3 posts
  • Trinity University TX,
  • United States

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:18 AM

Thank you so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members(s), 0 guests(s) and 0 anonymous member(s)