#1 Chris Merkord

Chris Merkord

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts
  • Vermillion, South Dakota,
  • United States

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:54 PM

Several members of the Ornithology Exchange have asked that user profiles include full names, to allow members to find one another.

Under the current system, the Full Name field in each member's profile is only visible to Site Admins, and is only used to verify membership in a participating ornithological society.

Another option is just to require that members enter their real name in the Display Name field.

The Site Admins are asking for your comments on these proposed changes. Reply below.

#2 Andrew Cox

Andrew Cox
  • Society Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:00 AM

Several members of the Ornithology Exchange have asked that user profiles include full names, to allow members to find one another.

Under the current system, the Full Name field in each member's profile is only visible to Site Admins, and is only used to verify membership in a participating ornithological society.

Another option is just to require that members enter their real name in the Display Name field.

The Site Admins are asking for your comments on these proposed changes. Reply below.

Perhaps when people set up an account they can be advised that it's useful to use their full names, but I don't think it should be required.

#3 Tim O'Connell

Tim O'Connell
  • Society Members
  • 13 posts
  • Stillwater, OK,
  • United States

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

I decided to register without an alias, in part because I figured there'd be tremendous competition here for people to register as their favorite genus and species name. Still, it would've been fun to have everyone here address me as Upupa epops.

#4 Chris Merkord

Chris Merkord

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts
  • United States

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

Perhaps when people set up an account they can be advised that it's useful to use their full names, but I don't think it should be required.

That's already the case (I added this a few months back).

#5 Chris Merkord

Chris Merkord

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts
  • United States

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

Still, it would've been fun to have everyone here address me as Upupa epops.

Ha! I think I might have to call you Upupa epops anyway. Regardless of what people call themselves (their Display Name), I could make the Full Name field (found in each member's profile) visible to other members. This would allow you as a member to go to the Members tab, click Advanced Filters, and type part of a last or first name into the Full Name field to search for someone. Users are already (now) required to enter their full names, so its just a matter of whether that should remain private or (semi-) public.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members(s), 0 guests(s) and 0 anonymous member(s)