1 reply to this topic

#1 Sue Haig

Sue Haig

President-Elect, AOU

• Society Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hello AOU Members--

Today I am sending you the new version of a plan to initiate the Society for Ornithology as well as an SFO Factsheet. The plan is evolving with each iteration --we expect there will be more iterations.This version represents the work of 16 society representatives, including the presidents, editors, and treasurers, from the AOU, AFO, and COS. The society representatives have focused the past 6 months on the managerial and publication portion of the plan. We include the 3 other sections (communication, conservation, and outreach) developed by the original SFO committee to give you an idea of what SFO could become. However, our initial focus would be in establishing the society and getting pubs off the ground.

We do not have a budget attached to the plan as we recently changed the publication strategy to online only (print on demand). Thus, we are still investigating costs and benefits. We hope to have this sorted out by the NAOC.

We will have a number of venues set up for learning about and discussing SFO at the NOAC. This will include an SFO booth in the exhibitor's section that will be staffed by AOU, AFO, and COS members working to develop SFO. We will have a presentation and public discussion of SFO on Wednesday evening of the SFO. We will also discuss SFO at the AOU business meeting the next evening (Thursday).

I hope you can participate in each and help us sort out the future of ornithology in the Americas.

Finally, I need to reiterate that we are NOT voting to disband the AOU at the NAOC. The plan for the NAOC is for the Council to learn more about SFO, listen to the discussions at the Wednesday night gathering, etc., and then meet for a second time at the meeting to discuss potential funding options for the beginning stages of SFO.

Please take the time to understand what we are concerned about, how we are trying to solve the issues and send me any questions or comments. I look forward to seeing everyone next week in Vancouver.

Sincerely,

Sue Haig
AOU President-Elect

P.S. We are working on a Webinar hook-up for the Wednesday evening discussion. There are 100 slots available. Please let me know if you cannot attend the meeting but would like to participate in the webinar.

(FROM THE OE ADMINISTRATORS): COMMENTS ON THIS ARTICLE MAY BE POSTED HERE: SFO Feedback forum. WE ARE KEEPING ALL THE COMMENTS IN ONE PLACE SO THEY ARE EASY TO FIND AND FOLLOW.

#2 Chris Merkord

Chris Merkord

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,685 posts
  • Vermillion, South Dakota,
  • United States

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

I've locked this topic. If you want to leave comments (you are encouraged to do so), please start a new topic in the SFO Feedback forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AOU, SFO, NAOC-V

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members(s), 0 guests(s) and 0 anonymous member(s)