The American Ornithological Society (AOS) provides one-year student membership awards to students from anywhere in the world interested in pursuing a career in ornithology. Membership awards provide full AOS Membership Benefits, including free access to The Auk: Ornithological Advances, The Condor: Ornithological Applications, and Birds of North America. Only student members of AOS are eligible to apply for student travel, presentation, and research awards. AOS reserves the right to limit the number of membership awards provided during one academic year.
Deadline for applications for 2018 cycle awards: December 31, 2017.Eligibility:
- ● Applicant must be a current student
- ● Applicants must be (1) a currently enrolled students of any country, any level, or (2) a student between degree-seeking programs with intent to re-enter a degree program in the future.
Submit materials via the OSNA Member Portal. Create a new account on the Member Portal, and view the AOS Student Membership Award competition by clicking the "View Open Competitions" link in the lower right and then selecting the appropriate award.
- ● A resume or curriculum vitae describing your current degree program, the expected date of completion, your academic or work experience, and your interests in ornithology
- ● A short note from your academic advisor indicating support for the application on institutional letterhead from the institution in which the student is currently enrolled.
- ● If applicants are students between degree-seeking programs with intent to re-enter a degree program in the future, they should indicate this in their application, and their faculty indication of support should come from the previous supervisor, indicating that the applicant intends to re-enter a degree program in the future.
Applications may be submitted any time prior to January 1.
Applicants granted a Student Membership Award will have time to register early for the 2018 annual meeting, compete for Student Travel Awards, apply for the Student Presentation Award Competition, and to apply for a Student Research Award (deadline for the awards competition is 26 January).
The AOS reserves the right to limit the number of membership awards provided during one year (1 Jan to 31 Dec).
For questions regarding the Student Membership Awards, please contact the Committee chair, Dan Mennill, via firstname.lastname@example.org. Please designate the subject line as the following: "Student Membership Awards - Inquiry Regarding ____."