Ornithology Exchange (brought to you by the Ornithological Council)

2018 Donald H. Rusch Memorial Game Bird Research Scholarship

Melanie Colón

Nominations for the 2018 Donald H. Rusch Memorial Game Bird Research Scholarship will be accepted through May 1. The annual scholarship is open to any graduate student studying upland birds or waterfowl biology or management. Click on the link above to visit the Rusch Memorial Scholarship webpage, or visit our awards page to learn more about all TWS awards. Andrew Olsen remembers being a 6-year-old boy tagging along with his father, a wildlife biologist and hunter, as he hunted dusky grouse (Dendragapus obscurus) in Montana. He can recall harvesting his first ringed-neck pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) when he was about 12. His early fascination with game birds led Olsen, now a PhD student at Oregon State University, to study sage grouse (Centrocercus urophasianus). His work earned him the Donald H. Rusch Memorial Game Bird Scholarship at the recent annual TWS Annual Conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Andrew Olsen displays game birds that he harvested. His interest in hunting game birds with his father since he was a child led to his interest in studying game birds. ©Abby Huck “I was really excited,” Olsen said. “I always feel honored to get any scholarship, and I was very happy and familiar with the legacy of the folks [...]

Read more: http://wildlife.org/student-carries-on-legacy-with-game-bird-scholarship/

Archived