Ornithology Exchange (brought to you by the Ornithological Council)

FlightR and seabirds - stationary state on water possible?

Hi Eli and Eldar,

I have a question about FlightR that I was hoping you may help me with. I found in your 2015 movement ecology paper that the FlightR includes a spatial/behavioural mask that prevents a stationary state on over large water masses. This makes sense when studying most shorebirds, but I was wondering whether that applies when a seabird is the study species, which may sit on the water for a long time e.g., during moult. I was therefore wondering whether a stationary state above sea is prevented by default and if that's the case, whether there is a way to allow stationary states on large water masses? My concern was that say a stationary state is prevented on water that this may cause artificial movement in a seabird that is sitting in one area on the ocean for several days.

Thank you very much in advance for your help on this topic, your help is very much appreciated.

All the best and have a nice weekend!

Hendrik

Hi Hendrik,

By default FLightR will not make a mask. In a new workflow (>=0.4.0) you can find the function make.grid. This has parameters for distance allowed to use and distance allowed to stay. 'Inf' means there is no limit. 

Grid<-make.grid(left=-14, bottom=30, right=13, top=57,
distance.from.land.allowed.to.use=c(-Inf, Inf),
distance.from.land.allowed.to.stay=c(-Inf, Inf)) 

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Eldar

Archived