SfO WOS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bob Beason

Bob Beason
  • Society Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

WOS members, please share your thoughts on the role the WOS might play in the development and implementation of the proposed Society for Ornithology.
Thanks,
Bob Beason, President
Wilson Ornithological Society

Attached Files

#2 Bob Curry

Bob Curry
  • Society Members
  • 282 posts
  • Villanova University,
  • United States

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

The following repeats a comment I made on the AOU forum about SFO:

In the "Vision" document, the Outreach sub-committee recommends "reevaluation of the need for an Ornithological Council." However, I think that many ornithologists will agree that the many valuable functions and services of the existing Ornithological Council should continue if and when the SFO comes into existence.

I have two suggestions about how to we might do this:

(1) Add another staff position to the SFO management structure that is equivalent in qualifications and duties to the current OC Executive Director position. (This option would be appropriate if the majority of 12 current OC member societies join the SFO, in which case the current representational structure of OC would no longer be tenable.)

or

(2) Include full continued support for OC in its current form, including overall funding from SFO equivalent to (or greater than) the current levels now contributed separately by the various societies that may merge within SFO.

~ Bob Curry, Vice-Chair, Ornithological Council

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SfO, WOS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members(s), 0 guests(s) and 0 anonymous member(s)