LATEST NEWS AND INFO UPDATE - 29 February an important deadline!!!
1. CALL FOR ABSTRACTS FOR ORAL AND POSTER PAPERS NOW OPEN The deadline for Online abstract submission is 29 February (limit ~250 words). Information and a downloadable "How To" page are available on the Abstract Submission web page. Students applying for presentation awards should pay careful attention to special abstract requirements by following the links to student awards.
2. TWO SPECIAL WORKSHOPS are being offered. First, "Estimating avian abundance and occupancy with marked and unmarked individuals", by Richard Chandler, Evan Cooch, Paul Doherty and Jim Nichols, from 12-14 August 2012 (Professionals, $100.00 Cdn; Students, $50.00 Cdn). Second, "Bird Banding Techniques", by John Alexander, from 19-23 August 2012 ($50.00 Cdn). Details of these Workshops are available on the web site. Space will be limited so please register early for these specific workshops. The program will also include many other excellent Workshops, to be scheduled the day before or after the conference. http://www.naoc-v2012.com/program
SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR POST-DOCS AND YOUNG PROFESSIONALS
3 . The Young Professional Presentation Award (YPA) recognizes early-career ornithological researchers for their outstanding contributions to ornithology. The two awardees selected each will be invited to give an oral presentation of their research at NAOC, receive a cash prize, are guaranteed travel awards, and will be invited to a breakfast attended by the COS president, officers, and the chair of the YPA committee. Candidates must be COS members and must have either 1) graduated within three years of the annual meeting, or 2) at the time of the meeting be in the final phase of graduate studies (last 9 months). Candidates must be sole author (or senior author if presentation is co-authored). To apply for the YPA for NAOC-V 2012 submit the following items (as a single pdf attachment): a 2-page curriculum vitae indicating graduation date AND a mini-paper (not to exceed 1,500 words) following the guidelines of Articles submi ssion outlined in Nature (click here for guidelines) to Victoria J. Dreitz Victoria.Dreitz@cfc.umt.edu by 29 February 2012. Applicants must also submit a standard abstract (as sole or first author) to the Program Committee Chair for the annual meeting (see website for more details: http://www.naoc-v2012.com/).
4. AOU Post-Doctoral Travel Awards: Post-doctoral fellows can apply for travel awards to help defray transportation expenses to the AOU annual meeting. Application deadline is Feb. 29, 2012. For information and to apply go to: http://www.aou.org/a.../postdoctravel/To be eligible, applicants must be:
- Sole author or lead author of a poster or oral paper presented by the student at the meeting.
- A post-doctoral fellow is expected to present postdoctoral research, and should not present doctoral research. Applicants who have received two Marcia Brady Tucker Travel Awards as a student are still eligible.
- A member of the AOU at the time of registration. Postdocs who are not currently members are encouraged to become members and thereby become eligible for travel awards, before registering for the meeting.