Photo

Kids at the field site - share your experiences!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ellen Paul

Ellen Paul

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,267 posts
  • United States

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:01 AM

Every working parent has the summertime problem - what do the kids do when you are at work? Who watches over them? 

For ornithologists with families, the situation is even more challenging because work often means traveling to remote locations or overseas, often living in tents or trailers. There are no local babysitters or day camps. 

Did you take your kids into the field with you? Share your experiences here; give a hand up to those who are just now dealing with this issue.

It would also be very interesting to know how the experience influenced your kids. Did they appreciate nature, biology, and science as a result or  would they rather have stayed home to play with friends? Did it influence what they chose to study in school and their career choices?

#2 Sara Morris

Sara Morris
  • Society Members
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:05 PM

I have been really lucky.  When I have taught at the Audubon Camp in Maine, the director/staff offered for me to bring my daughter and my mother (who played nanny).  At my field site, I was not comfortable taking my daughter most of the time (I just didn't have time to watch her as carefully as I would need with lots of breeding gulls guarding their nests, eggs, and chicks).  However, when she was five I was able to take her with me there, and she loved it.  She's only 11 and is not interested in field ecology (or even biology) as a potential career. However, I think she has a love of nature and a respect for what her mom does.

#3 yejunco

yejunco
  • Society Members
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

Attached File  0759_001-1.pdf   67.76KB   1 downloads

It can be tough to take kids into the field.  My daughter did better than my son so I took her more often.  I took her out in the field as a 9 month old.  She was in a pack and play I set up while I was observing juncos.  She also helped net song sparrows when she was 4.    Both kids loved to band birds and became proficient at setting up nets and taking birds out of the nets.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members(s), 0 guests(s) and 0 anonymous member(s)