Ornithology Exchange (brought to you by the Ornithological Council)

Audubon Seabird Biology and Conservation Training, Hog Island, Maine, June and September

http://hogisland.audubon.org/spring-seabird-biology-and-conservation

Take an active part in helping to restore Maine seabirds by joining pioneering researcher Dr. Stephen Kress, and other Project Puffin biologists with National Audubon Society's internationally renowned Seabird Restoration Program. Work alongside Audubon biologists to census a nesting colony of Herring Gulls, Great Black-backed Gulls, and Common Eiders. This session provides an opportunity to land on islands that are usually off limits and a chance to learn about seabird identification, bird banding, adaptations, migration, ecology and seabird conservation.

During this program you will help researchers conduct a detailed census of hundreds of gull eggs, chicks and eider nests to measure the health of nesting seabird colonies and assist with the removal of marine debris that can entangle seabirds. You will see puffins and terns at Eastern Egg Rock and the Great Blue Heron nesting colony on Wreck Island. Due to the large numbers of breeding birds on Eastern Egg Rock at this time, we will not land on Eastern Egg Rock. Weather permitting, we will land on Wreck Island to see the Great Blue Heron colony.

"I feel honored and proud about being able to help restore tern habitat. I'm grateful that I discovered this interesting and stimulating program and look forward to coming back!" - Sheila, New Jersey

This popular program is presented in association with Road Scholar (Elderhostel, Inc.) and is open to adults 21+ years old. Participants should be able to disembark onto small landing boats and walk easily over uneven terrain.

Register for the 2013 program by calling Road Scholar (toll-free) 1-800-454-5768, or register online. This popular program is presented in association with Road Scholar (Elderhostel, Inc.) and is open to adults 21+ years old. Participants should be able to disembark onto small landing boats and walk easily over uneven terrain.

Archived