Ornithology Exchange (brought to you by the Ornithological Council)

Course on the use of networks in biology, July 14-18, Barcelona, Spain

Registration is open for the course "NETWORK TOOLS IN BIOSCIENCES". Webpage: http://www.transmittingscience.org/courses/syst-bio/networks/

Many features and processes of biological systems can be well represented by networks of interacting elements. In the last decades, network analysis has provided new insights into the organization and functioning of complex biological systems such as brain wiring, genetic regulation, or ecological dynamics. A basic knowledge on network modelling and network analysis will provide biologists a better understanding of cutting-edge research in their fields. This course will introduce participants into the analysis of complex biological systems using network models. Students will learn the basics of network analysis: gathering information, building network models, and interpret the outcomes of their analysis. This course combines theoretical introduction and computing practices using the free software environment R. Previous knowledge in R is not required. Participants are encouraged to bring their own data for practicing. Emphasis is placed on offering participants a wide overview of network modelling in biology and the many available software tools to do it.

INSTRUCTORS: Dr. Diego Rasskin-Gutman (Institut Cavanilles de Biodiversitat i Biologia Evolutiva, Spain) and Dr. Borja Esteve-Altava (Institut Cavanilles de Biodiversitat i Biologia Evolutiva, Spain).

DATES: July 14-18, 2014. 34 teaching hours.

PLACE:  Facilities of the Centre de Restauració i Interpretació de Els Hostalets de Pierola, Els Hostalets de Pierola,  Barcelona (Spain).

Organized by: Transmitting Science, the Institut Catalá de Paleontologia Miquel  Crusafont and Centre de Restauració i Interpretació de Els Hostalets de Pierola.

Archived