Ornithology Exchange
  1. Community Forums

1. 325

Requests for proposals, requests for applications, calls for submissions, deadline reminders, announcements about newly established funds, notices of award winners, and other announcements

Everything you need to know about the intersection of ornithology and public policy

If you are looking to buy, sell, or donate used equipment, books, etc., this is the place to post.

1. Geolocator Discussion & Support

This forum provides support for those using geolocator technology to study animal movement and behavior.

This forum provides support for those using RFID technology to study animal movement and behavior

1. Site Feedback

Suggestions or comments on the design or functionality of the site? Problems logging in or posting? Leave a message here.

1. R Ornithology Graphing

How to's, helps, and tips on Graphing in R (ggplot, baseplot, etc)

A place to discuss teaching R, to yourself, in workshops and in formal classrooms

3. R Ornithology Mapping/Spatial Analysis

Creating maps and doing spatial analysis in R. Replacing arcGIS with R.

This forum is for posting about topics that dont fit easily into the other categories. Including data management, programming, tips, tricks, general help, suggestions about R Ornithology, upcoming meetings, or sharing projects

This forum is for posting about package specific questions that dont fit into graphing or mapping topics (ex: tidyr, RMark, R2jags). Feel to start threads on broad topics like 'dplyr' or RMark' and nest questions with in that thread.

6. Women in Ornithology Resources Group Topics

Public forum providing resources for women in ornithology.

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Announcements

• Florida Ornithological Society Fall 2018 Meeting November 2-4 Hosted at: Florida Atlantic University Davie, FL www.fosbirds.org   Now accepting submissions for the 2018 poster session The Florida Ornithological Society invites papers focusing on biology, behavior, conservation, management, education, or policy issues related to birds. FOS welcomes submissions from any geographic location but is especially interested in papers that relate to work performed in Florida, the Southeast US, and the Caribbean. Papers will be presented in poster form. Papers can present results from completed studies or works in progress. Posters should be no larger than 36 x 48 inches. Instructions for Submitting Abstracts: The deadline for abstract submissions is October 1, 2018. Abstracts should be submitted via email to the FOS paper session reviewers (see contact information below). Abstracts should be under 300 words and include a brief description of objectives, methods, results, and conclusions. If you would like to submit a paper on a related topic that is not listed here, please email us your subject for special consideration.   Please email questions about conference presentations to: FOSorganizers@gmail.com For more information including meeting schedule and registration see the attached documents. Please post and share the attached flyer. Thank you for helping us spread the word. We look forward to hearing from and seeing you this November in South Florida.   Florida Ornithological Society Advancing Ornithology in Florida. Supporting Research and Education about Birds. Uniting Amateurs and Professionals in the Conservation and Study of Wild Birds. FOS Fall 2018 Meeting.pdf FOS_call_for_papers_2018.pdf
    • The bipartisan Recovering America’s Wildlife Act (S. 3223) was introduced in the Senate on Tuesday by Sen. James Risch, R-Idaho, and cosponsored by Senators Joe Manchin, D-West Virginia; Heidi Heitkamp, D-North Dakota, and Lamar Alexander, R-Tennessee. The bill would provide up to $1.3 billion annually in appropriated funds for state fish and wildlife agencies to support the implementation of state wildlife action plans. SWAPs identify species at risk of becoming threatened or endangered, known as species of greatest conservation need, and detail proactive plans to reduce population declines in an effort to prevent the need to list them under the Endangered Species Act. These appropriated funds would come from existing onshore and offshore energy and mineral production revenues already collected by the federal government at $5 billion to $12 billion annually. Unlike the House version (H.R. 4647) of this legislation introduced in December by Reps. Debbie Dingell, D-Michigan, and Jeff Fortenberry, R-Nebraska, the Senate version would require Congressional approval on the amount of funding state agencies can receive each year. By contrast, the House version would provide $1.3 billion in dedicated funding every year in order to provide state agencies with certainty in planning multiyear conservation efforts. The House version [...] View the full article
    • A community on Maryland’s Eastern Shore contracted with the USDA Wildlife Services to eliminate 290 Canada geese (Branta canadensis) that were endangering water quality. Since 2014, Ocean Pines has attempted to deter the geese from its ponds and roads by using a deterrent called Flight Control and by not mowing areas around lakes and ponds, but the nonlethal efforts didn’t work, the Salisbury Daily Times reported. An Ocean Pines official said the geese were causing “unacceptable levels of feces in the water and recreation areas of the community.” The geese were donated to the Maryland Food Bank. Read the full story here.   View the full article
    • Hi all, Following Eldars advice above I was able to get the other units to work using the calibration of another geo (Thanks again Eldar!). I'm still having difficulties with this one unit and i'm not really sure why. Whenever I run this unit through FlightR it appears that the bird never returned to the breeding ground in the 2010 season, which is possible since we never relocated or captured it, I just think that it's highly unlikely. My first thought was that this unit contains two years of data so I tried splitting it. Once the unit was converted into TAGS format I tried splitting the data in half to make it similar to a geo that had a single year of data. This seemed to work slightly better than trying to run it as a single unit, but the results were still scattered everywhere. All of these failed attempts I was using a different geo for the calibration, I cant run the calibration otherwise. I'm not sure what else to do, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    • A long-term plan to preserve the Rimatara lorikeet by restoring an extirpated population of the species on a neighboring island that is free of predatory ship rats is demonstrating the importance of this kind of protective program for the sustainability of endangered bird species. A case study published in the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) report Global Reintroduction Perspectives: 2018—Case Studies from Around the Globe sums up the results of an effort that began in 2000. View the full article