WRITE YOUR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS ASAP! THE HOUSE TAX BILL WOULD TREAT TUITION REMISSION (WAIVERS) AS TAXABLE INCOME. OTHER PROVISIONS IN THE TAX BILL WOULD REDUCE DONATIONS TO COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES AND TAX ENDOWMENTS.
URGENT! THIS BILL IS MOVING FAST. PLEASE WRITE TODAY. ASK YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS, LAB MEMBERS, FRIENDS, COLLEAGUES TO WRITE.
Update 11/12 - the bill goes to the full House for a vote next week (exact date unknown). The full text of the Senate tax plan has been released. The repeal of the exclusion of tuition remission is NOT in the Senate bill! That increases the chances of having this provision removed when the two bills are reconciled. However, the provision for excise tax on university endowment investment income IS in the Senate bill (also subject to the 250k/student threshold). Further, the repeal of the deduction for student loan interest remains.
By Ornithological Council
The oil and gas industries and others would have a complete pass for the incidental take of birds protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act should the SECURE American Energy Act (H.R. 4239) become law.
SEC. 207. CLARIFICATION REGARDING LIABILITY UNDER MIGRATORY BIRD TREATY ACT. Section 6 of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (16 U.S.C. 707) is amended by adding at the end of the following: ‘‘(e) This Act shall not be construed to prohibit any activity proscribed by section 2 of this Act that is accidental or incidental to the presence or operation of an otherwise lawful activity.’’.
The new OSNA Member Portal is now open and available for you to renew your society memberships in the American Ornithological Society, the Association of Field Ornithologists, the Raptor Research Foundation, and the Wilson Ornithological Society. Renewing online is fast and convenient for you and helps the societies to gather information to better serve you.
What is the Ornithological Council and why should you support it?
The Ornithological Council is a great resource for ornithologists. We help researchers navigate the permit maze, address animal welfare concerns, publish the peer-reviewed Guidelines to the Use of Wild Birds in Research. The Ornithological Council is the voice of scientific ornithology. Learn more here!
When you join a society or renew your OSNA membership via Membersuite (2018 registration begins October 9), please remember the OC. Visit the donations page to make a contribution.
News & Announcements
- Social Network Analysis for Behavioural Scientists using R 22 November 2017
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Postdoctoral Fellowship Opportunities 21 November 2017
- Advances in Spatial Analysis of Multivariate Ecological Data 21 November 2017
- Accepting applications for 2018 ESA Graduate Student Policy Award 21 November 2017
- Four ornithologists named AAAS Fellows 21 November 2017
- Thomas G. Balgooyen 1943 - 2016 20 November 2017
- Certified Wildlife Biologist® workshop on December 2, 2017 20 November 2017
- 2018 AFO/WOS Meeting 09 Jun 2018
- 27th International Ornithological Congress 15 Aug 2018
- International Wader Study Group Conference 2018 14 Sep 2018
- 2018 Annual Meeting of the Raptor Research Foundation 13 Nov 2018
- 10,975 Total Posts
- 4,422 Total Members
- Dragomir Damnjanovic Newest Member
- 560 Most Online