A new species of bird has been discovered in northeastern India and adjacent parts of China by a team of scientists from Sweden, China, the U.S., India and Russia. The bird, described in the current issue of the journal Avian Research, has been named Himalayan forest thrush Zoothera salimalii.
By Stephanie JonesIn this edition of the Editor's Choice series, Stephanie Jones, Editor of Waterbirds, highlights an article from the December 2015 issue of Waterbirds (vol. 38, no. 4), titled Diversity, Abundance and Nesting Phenology of the Wading Birds of Bahía Kino, Sonora, México.
Leaders of the AOU and COS formally approved pursuit of a merger of the two organizations at their annual meeting in Norman, Oklahoma. Both societies will be seeking input from their members as they take the necessary steps in this pursuit.
UPDATE: 22 Dec 2015: Compilation of responses from members.
UPDATE: 22 Sept 2015: AOU and COS leadership respond to inquiries from past COS presidents. Posted in the comments, below, with permission from the authors.
UPDATE 14 Oct 2015: Society leadership reaches out to membership. See request for input below, under main article.
What is the Ornithological Council and why should you support it?
The Ornithological Council is a great resource for ornithologists. We help researchers navigate the permit maze, address animal welfare concerns, publish the peer-reviewed Guidelines to the Use of Wild Birds in Research. The Ornithological Council is the voice of scientific ornithology. Learn more here!
News & Announcements
- Auk Editor Pick - DNA Analysis of Sandpiper Feces Reveals Broad Diet 05 February 2016
- Condor Editor Pick - Jays & Crows Act as Ecosystem Engineers 05 February 2016
- Pymatuning Lab of Ecology Early Career Fellowship - DEADLINE EXTENDED 04 February 2016
- News from Movebank, the online database for animal movement (January 2016) 02 February 2016
- Workshop: R Basics - May 16, 17 and 18 - St. Louis, MO 02 February 2016
- Doris Duke Conservation Scholars Program Seeks Applicants 02 February 2016
- 2016 Research Grants and Undergraduate Internships at the Huyck Preserve and Biological Research Station 02 February 2016
- Registrations for NAOC 2016 opens Feb 1; fees announced
- Meeting: 6th North American Ornithological Conference
- Call for Proposals for Training Opportunities, Short Courses and Workshops - NAOC 2016
- NAOC 2016 call for symposia proposals
- Eastern Bird Banding Association 2016 Annual Meeting 08 Apr 2016
- 6th North American Ornithological Conference 16 Aug 2016
- IV International Albatross and Petrel Conferences 01 Sep 2016
- The Seabird Group Conference 2016 06 Sep 2016
- 7,799 Total Posts
- 3,483 Total Members
- rgray@BRI Newest Member
- 560 Most Online