If you are a scientist from any scientific discipline (e.g. ecology, medicine, economics, etc.), and are concerned about global environmental and climate trends, we invite you to become a co-signatory for our in-press Viewpoint article in the journal Bioscience entitled “World Scientists’ Warning to Humanity: a second notice” by Ripple et. al. (2017). In doing so, you will be included in the full list of co-signatories in the article’s online supplemental material.
Over 13,000 scientists have signed the letter. If you'd like to add your name, be sure to do by 9/26.
What is the Ornithological Council and why should you support it?
The Ornithological Council is a great resource for ornithologists. We help researchers navigate the permit maze, address animal welfare concerns, publish the peer-reviewed Guidelines to the Use of Wild Birds in Research. The Ornithological Council is the voice of scientific ornithology. Learn more here!
When you join a society or renew your OSNA membership via Membersuite (2018 registration begins October 9), please remember the OC. Visit the donations page to make a contribution.
By Ornithological Council
It is no secret that the current U.S. administration has great disdain for regulations. It now looks as though several bird-related regulations - including some that would have affected ornithological research - are now on the scrap heap. Gone are pending regulations on CITES, Migratory Bird Treaty Act, Animal Welfare Act. The bird banding regulatory revisions have been consigned to the long-term action list. Updates to the Wild Bird Conservation Act are still moving forward, as are regulations updating import and export procedures and an increase in permit and other fees.
News & Announcements
- Auk Editor Pick - Song Experiments Reveal 21 Possible New Tropical Bird Species 15 September 2017
- Scientists invited to co-sign "Scientists Warning" article to curb environmental destruction 15 September 2017
- Fall 2017 Edition of Wingspan Available 14 September 2017
- 2018 membership registration/renewal for AOS, AFO, RRF, and WOS opens Oct 9 13 September 2017
- Major revision to Model Wildlife Protocol 08 September 2017
- Condor Editor Pick - Will Mallards Hybridize Their Cousins out of Existence? 08 September 2017
- Journal of Raptor Research Volume 51 (3) available online 07 September 2017
- 10,662 Total Posts
- 4,291 Total Members
- rl655 Newest Member
- 560 Most Online